Possibly the best Keto Bagel ever! Its an easy home-bake, topped with a lovely onion bagel seasoning mix for added taste and texture and we are delighted to share the recipe with you below..
Keto-friendly, gluten-free, slice and fill with cream cheese, ham and crisp green salad leaves for an easy packed lunch!
For the Onion Seasoning Mix
- 3.5 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup of toasted sesame seeds
- 3.5 tablespoons of dried onions (minced)
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt flakes
- 3.5 tablespoons of dried garlic flakes
For the Keto Bagels
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1 tablespoon of grain free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 + 1 large free range eggs
- 3 cups of mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 5 tablespoons of cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of onion seasoning mix to sprinkle over
To make the Onion Seasoning mix
Mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight container of a screw top spice jar, place on one side
To make the Keto Bagels
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 and line a baking sheet with baking paper
- Place the almond flour, grain free baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder and dried oregano in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Meanwhile, whisk one of the free-range eggs in a small bowl and place to one side – this will be the egg wash atop each bagel Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese into a large micro-wave friendly bowl. Microwave for one and a half minutes. Carefully remove the mixing bowl from the microwave and stir the contents hard to combine. Place the bowl back into the microwave for a further minute. Remove and stir hard again.
- Add the two remaining eggs and the almond flour mixture and stir well to combine. If the mixture becomes unworkable simply place back in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften and continue mixing.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Gently pull away at the centre to form a hole and shape the dough ball into a ring to create the bagel shape.
- Brush the top of each formed bagel with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle the onion seasoning mix atop each bagel
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes or until golden brown.
The onion seasoning mix is a great addition to salads, wraps, omelettes and so much more when you want to shake things up a little in the taste and flavour department.
PS. We ate these hot from the oven dipped into a hot and spicy tomato soup – as the rain lashed down outside – nothing better!